Welcome to the Learning Resource Centre. The LRC is more than just a library. As well as offering a large collection of fiction and non-fiction books, magazines and newspapers, computers both in the LRC and an adjacent classroom can be used for homework and research. Students are welcome to print their homework in the LRC; this facility is currently free of charge. Students enrolled on the Accelerated Reader programme can use Ipads to undertake their reading practice quizzes. A Reading Cafe operates every lunchtime and a Homework Club operates after school until 4.30pm Monday to Thursday.
Students from all year groups regularly have the opportunity to attend author talks as well as participate in the annual Swindon Youth Festival of Literature and World Book Week activities.
Reading for pleasure is strongly linked to educational attainment as well as personal and social development. Positive reading habits are promoted and encouraged through the wide, current and free choice of reading materials available as well as enrolment on the Accelerated Reader programme for Year 7 and 8 students.
The LRC is a great place to be, whether it’s for completing homework, reading quietly or just taking a breather from the hustle and bustle of school life. Mrs Day is on hand Monday to Thursdays and Mrs Tonkin is in on Fridays, so come on in and check it out!
Audio books are a great educational tool in that students can get the benefits of the written word, anytime, anyplace, anywhere. The school’s audio book service is very easy to access using the instructions below, clicking here or visiting https://www.ridgewayschool.com/learning-and-education/learning-resource-centre/audio-books.
• Click on the Audio Books icon on the Student Portal OR on your mobile device, download the “eWheelers” app on Google Playstore or Apple Store if you have an iPhone.
• You will be prompted to search for the school – click on The Ridgeway School & 6th Form College, then the student can login with their school sign in (the first part of their email address without the “@ridgewayschool.com” suffix) and password.
• Students are then free to browse the audiobook catalogue. Any audiobook downloaded can be listened to offline by clicking on the top menu filter for options, and whilst still connected to wifi, select “Store Offline”.
Accelerated Reader should be accessed from the direct link on the school portal or from the website link here: https://ukhosted46.renlearn.co.uk/1896171/. All students have been reminded of their username and password.
ACCESS TO FREE BOOKS
• The school Learning Resource Centre.
• If you have access to a Kindle, there are numerous free books available, including many Classics.
• Swindon Library Service is well worth joining. They have a massive range of eBooks, audio books, and e-magazines, all of which are available free of charge. Further details of their services and how to join the library can be found here: https://www.swindon.gov.uk/libraries.
Can be found on the school website using the following link:
If you or your student has a question about accessing any of the websites above, is unsure of their username and password, or needs any reading help or advice, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Day (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs Tonkin (email@example.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org.