Silver Block Escape Committee
Escape rooms have come a long way since Silver Block (ASC SRP) last visited. Clue-HQ has no fewer than four different themed rooms to crack and our students divided themselves among Bunker 38, Cluetenkhamun, Detonation and A-I-9. In a world where those with autism never quite fit in, in an escape room our students are in their element! Logical minds got to work on the clues, detecting patterns and decoding puzzles, and everyone escaped within the allotted time! This is one of the areas of brain activity where autistic students can shine, so it is very useful for children who often struggle with sensory overload in mainstream to be able to step out of that environment for a while into one that is both entertaining and edifying.
The Ridgeway School & Sixth Form College Mark Holocaust Memorial Day – 27th January 2020
The school marked Holocaust Memorial day last week with a series of assemblies, mentoring sessions, History and RE lessons focused around the topic and with informative, but age appropriate, displays around the school. The Holocaust itself was discussed and the work of the Holocaust Memorial Trust, as well as other genocides since including Rwanda, Cambodia, Bosnia and Darfur. The students considered the importance of the work of the trust and their role as a global citizen in learning about and remembering the events, as well as the importance of acceptance and community.
Building Homes for the Future
The meeting involved the active development of international competencies in university, school and employment contexts.
Thanks to a tremendous effort from our staff and students, we hosted 31 students and 10 staff from our Electrical Virtual International School, a network which we have been proud to be part of for 12 years. Visitors travelled from Germany, Italy, Spain and Netherlands. As well as visiting lessons and developing language skills
The programme involved six challenges…
- Find a site and key components for your self-build house at The National Self Build and Renovation Centre in Swindon.
- Select a top 3 of house/building designs in historic Devizes.
- At St Fagins Museum Cardiff select the house, which best gives ideas for a sustainable lifestyle.
- Make notes at the presentation by Nick Smith and his town planning team at the University of West of England.
- Activities about housing at the M Museum looking at Bristol Dockside.
- Take part in a team presentation summarising the 3 main strategic points you would make to guide town planners of the future.
We look forward to continuing this work with our partner schools on innovative projects and exchanges. Eddie Sims, ELVIS Coordinator.